Friday Five-RnR NOLA Marathon Edition
Whoa, it’s been a week since I updated. We were out of school Tuesday and Wednesday due to the weather and then my poor husband was ill today so there wasn’t a lot going on here. I really wanted to post a special Rock n Roll edition and link up with Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, since the New Orleans half and marathon are this weekend and so many blogger runners will be hitting my town. So here are my top personal five recommendations to do while you are in New Orleans.
1. Wander Uptown on foot: I’m talking a few blocks behind Magazine St, maybe after a little shopping at Fleurty Girl or Storyville. You will see street after street of classic New Orleans shotguns and Creole cottages. As long as I live in this city, I will be amazed at its architecture and its residents reverence towards it. We take pride in living in, caring for, and restoring their homes.
2. Ride the RED streetcar: Being the Mid City folk that we are, we are partial the red line. It’s air conditioned after all. You can start in the French Quarter and take it the entire way down Canal St. towards City Park.
3. Eat some King Cake: Not some grocery store brand they might serve at the finish line of the race. Go to Sucre, Haydel’s, Randazzo’s, Cake Cafe,or even Tastee Donuts (although you will want to ask for the McKenzie king cake) and eat a serious New Orleans treat.
4. Take in a show: Of course, there are tons of great places to see live music and hang out (our favorites: Bayou Beer Garden or Finn McCool’s in Mid City, dba on Frenchman, Preservation Hall in the French Quarter or even the newly renovated gorgeous Saenger for theater) but I’m talking about an old school picture show. The Prytania Theater is in a beautiful Uptown neighborhood and it’s a one screen movie theater, the last in New Orleans. They are currently showing lots of Oscar nominated films. Curling up with an ice pack and a latte or gelato in the balcony sounds like a great post race recovery activity.
5. Have a great race! Running in New Orleans is my favorite thing to do and The Rock N Roll course is known for being flat and fast. The weather should be beautiful. Enjoy. Special shout outs to Running for Bling, Krissy Runs, all the Steel MagNOLAs racing, and Coach Mike. May you PR!
P.S. As I was finishing it, I actually couldn’t stop thinking of things you should do while you are in town… get gelato at Angelo Brocato’s, or fried chicken at Willie Mae’s Scotch House, go the World War II Museum, see Mardi Gras World, and of course, if you’ve never done it, drink a hurricane at Pat O’Brien’s and get beignets at Cafe du Monde. So please, come back and visit us again!